Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Changes

A couple of weeks ago I decided it was time to find out why my fingers were going numb in both hands. I'd been dealing with it since April and the progression from just occasionally in my pinkie fingers to now constantly in my pinkie and ring fingers and occasionally in my middle fingers had me a little irked. Enter chiropractor extraordinaire Dr. Lundgren. Within minutes he had figured out that my C8 nerve is being crushed. Good news: It's not permanent. Bad news: I can't play my instruments for the next 3 months to a year while I do physical therapy. Sucker fish!

That same day I went to see my regular doctor because I've been having horrible pains in my hips and knees as well as my right wrist. After checking out my mobility he decided that I most likely had rheumatoid arthritis. Apparently it goes hand in hand with Crohn's disease. After some blood tests it was determined that I don't in fact have RA and the joint pain is just a side effect of my Crohn's. I'm starting on an anti inflammatory tomorrow as well as pain meds for the days I have a hard time walking. Whoopee!

None of this health stuff is really new for me, I'm mean I'm a hospital's favorite kind of patient: You won't kill me, but you'll sure have fun charging me for it while you try! The issue with my back though has had a pretty major impact on my life.

Since Joe and I started dating I've been going to church with him at Journey on Saturday nights and BCRC on Sundays. This was because we wanted to attend church together and we both had commitments at our respective churches on Sunday morning. After much discussion and prayer we decided that I would make a slow transition from BCRC and Solid Ground to Journey. Well, the back injury sort of sped things up a bit. Since I can no longer play with Solid Ground we decided that I would make my departure now rather than at the end of the calendar year as we had originally planned. Sadly, that night when Solid Ground practiced I had intended to tell everyone I was leaving at the end of the year, instead I told them that the following Sunday would be my last. Tears were shed, prayers were said, but in the end it's a huge burden off my shoulders.

This last Sunday morning Joe and I attended church together for the first time at a regular Sunday service. For the first time in months I didn't feel torn as I headed out the door to church. I'm going to miss BCRC, but Journey is definitely my new home.

No comments: