Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Chalk that one up as Epic Fail

I'm a pretty good cook. I say this because my mom's a great cook and when I recreate her recipes they usually end up spot on. With this in mind I decided on Sunday night that I was going to make one of my favorite meals for Joe and the kids...Chicken and Dumplings.

I can usually churn out a pot of Chicken and Dumplings in about an hour, it's good and hearty, the gravy is thick and full of veggies, the dumplings are light and fluffy and the chicken is juicy and delicious. Sunday would've been just like that if only I'd remembered to bring the recipe with me. Oops! I tried to recreate the spices from memory. Judging from how it smelled simmering on the stove I thought I had them right. SO TOTALLY DID NOT HAVE THEM RIGHT!

The gravy didn't develop; it was a water, yucky mess. The dumplings didn't steam properly and ended up being thick lumps of goo on the inside and a soggy mess on the outside. The veggies were the only part that turned out right. Wouldn't you know it, the kids wouldn't eat them. They ended up whining their way away from the table only to have ice cream an hour later. Ice cream for supper - I'm totally kicking hiner at this step mom thing!

Tonight I'm going to try to redeem myself. I'm making turkey loaf, mashed potatoes and gravy, stuffing and green bean casserole. Hopefully it all works out!

No comments: