Saturday, December 26, 2009

Best Christmas Gift EVER part IV


When I was 5 years old my parents bought me my first piano. It's a beautiful antique Wurlitzer that sits in my dining room and I'm sure much to the chagrin of my neighbors, gets played often. That was best Christmas gift EVER part I.


When I was 12 years old my parents bought me my first guitar. It was a shiny new "Garth Brooks" edition Washburn with faux cherry wood sides and back and a laminate spruce top. Pretty standard for a learner guitar and it served it's purpose well until it was knocked off the dais at church and met it's untimely demise. RIP best Christmas gift EVER part II.


When I was oh, I'll say 21? My parents bought me my second guitar. It's the beautiful and well used Taylor that I still to this day play on a daily basis. It's traveled the country with me. It's played in many a bar. It's used 2 nights a week to teach guitar lessons and twice a week at church. It's very much become and extension of me. If a day goes by that it doesn't get played it's probably because I'm quite ill. Even though they bought it and gave it to me in June, it was actually a Christmas gift. Best Christmas gift EVER part III.


And now this year. This year! My parents took my not so subtle hinting and bought me the Best Christmas Gift EVER! (Part IV.) A shiny new Gibson Epiphone mandolin. A mandolin! The second I mastered the guitar I decided that the mandolin was going to be my 4th instrument to master. The story of my discovering it under the tree is rather embarrassing so I won't go into the details. Let's just leave it at that my sister thought I was going to launch off the couch and through the roof, Daddy started crying and Mom thought I was rather disturbed. But they bought me a mandolin! A freaking mandolin people! Tears DESERVE to be shed over this!
I'll be playing said mandolin in church tomorrow. It only took me about 10 minutes to get going with it because it's the same fingering as a violin. I can't wait! Now if only I could come up with a name...


No comments: